Basement conversions are becoming more & more popular across the U.K. One of the issues when planning a basement conversion is how to increase the amount of light, as naturally, they can suffer from being dark spaces where very little natural light can get in. However, with careful design and construction, this is an ideal way to gain an extra room that is filled with light and completely usable.
Here are a few tips on how you can maximise the degree of natural light that comes into the basement.
- If the basement is designed to be split level, then it may be possible to get natural light into the area from windows above
- Consider the use of light wells as a good source of natural light & ventilation to the basement room
- Glazing from the floor above is a fantastic & modern way of getting further light underground
- Glass staircases & stairwells down to the basement are perfect for reflecting light & opening up a dark space
- Consider having the glass or frosted panelling on doors installed in the basement to let further light through
If a source of natural light is limited consider using the following design tips to make the most of your space:
- Paint walls of the room in natural & light colours to reflect any light back around the room
- Design & build the ceiling height of the basement conversion as high as possible to avoid the new rooms feeling cramped or small
- Use extra lamps & up lighters to make space feel less dark & more cosy!
- Use light colours for your flooring choice
Here at A.B. Basement Company Ltd we are on hand to help you design & build a basement conversion to your budget & specification. For a free, no obligation quotation & site survey, call us on 0114 274 9856 or 07717 843 315 or fill out our online enquiry form.